Usually the young person will come to the initial session with a parent, guardian or other appropriate adult (depending on the young person’s age). Then subsequent sessions are usually with the young person alone (again, depending on their age). Sometimes I invite the parent back into the therapy room for some sessions, or part of sessions if the young person agrees to it. I also facilitate family therapy, which can be anything from one parent and child to larger family groups.
Check ‘what happens when I come for therapy’ for further details about what happens in the first session.
As well as seeing young people and families in my private practice, I am also the Coordinator of the Counselling and Mental Health Service for the Children’s Society in Torquay (Check Point). This involves me overseeing the counselling provision (and supervision of counsellors) in several locals schools, further education college and at Check Point itself. I have previous experience working for several years as a counsellor at another local youth enquiry centre, and have worked in a secondary school as school counsellor.
I have had training specific to working with young people:
- NCFE Certificate in Working with Children
- CAMHS – Helping Children Manage their Feelings
- CAMHS – Helping the Child/Young Person who Self Harms
- CAMHS – Helping the Angry Child
- CAMHS – Helping the Worried Child and Young Person
- ADVA – Domestic Violence and the Impact on Children and Families
- Child Development (Psychology – Open University)
- Child Protection Training
- Substance Misuse and Young People
- Play Therapy
- Sand Play Therapy
- Therapeutic Storytelling
- The Gestalt Approach to Working with Children and Adolescents (The Gestalt Centre, London)
- Adolescent Development and Substance Misuse
- Youth Mental Health First Aid
I am also a Mental Health First Aid (Youth) trainer. Please contact me for further details in this amazing 2 day course for anyone (over 16 years old) who has contact with under 18’s and who would like to learn more about how to spot the early signs of mental illness and how to support young people experiencing mental health difficulties.